Abbotsford Convent is committed to improving access across the precinct for everyone. We acknowledge that there are access challenges inherent in the Convent’s heritage buildings and gardens and remedial work is being undertaken as funding permits.
Guide/assistance dogs are welcome throughout the Convent’s grounds and buildings. (Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times)
The following accessible parking spaces are available for use by holders of a Disabled Persons permit:
- Two two-hour accessible on-street parking spaces are located on St Heliers Street, beside Gate One.
- Six accessible parking places are located at the front of the car park on the northern side of St Heliers Street.
Car parks are located within a short distance of Gate One. The entrance is near a dedicated pedestrian thoroughfare and road cross over.
The ACF is a partner to the national RECHARGE scheme. Accessible power points are available for people to recharge the battery in their motorised wheelchairs, scooters or bikes. The power points are located externally, on the western side of the Providence building. (Please note that during markets the power points may be in use by stall holders.)
Bicycle racks are located throughout the Convent and also adjacent to the car park. Please use these facilities and always lock up your bicycle.
- Convent building: One set of the Convent’s majestic doors operates with automatic sensors to provide wheelchair access.
- The Store: For wheelchair access press the access-signed buzzer on the eastern door to trigger front of house attendants to open the accessible side door to the space.
- Mercator building: The ground floor studios are wheelchair accessible. There is currently no lift to the studios on the first floor.
- Providence building: All ground floor areas are wheelchair accessible. There is no lift to the first floor offices.
- Rosina building: With the exception of the stage and backstage area in the Auditorium, all function and venue hire spaces within Rosina building are wheelchair accessible. A lift provides access to all levels of the building. This lift has tactile buttons and audio voice cues.
- Sacred Heart building: All ground floor areas are wheelchair accessible. This includes the Industrial School, the Magdalen Laundry, the Oratory and the Packing Room. There is a lift to the first floor offices.
- St Euphrasia building (3MBS): Wheelchair access is via the southern doors, and assistance for entry is required. All ground floor areas, including production and recording studios, library and volunteer facilities, are wheelchair accessible. There is no lift to the first floor production studio and meeting rooms. For assistance, please call 03 9416 1035.
- St Mary’s building (Sophia Mundi Steiner School): Wheelchair access is via the gate south of the main entrance, and assistance for entry is required. Most ground floor areas are wheelchair accessible. There is no lift to the first floor classrooms, music and education support areas. For assistance please call 03 9419 9229.
- Gardens and grounds: Access through the gardens and grounds is via pathways that are mostly bituminised; some are dirt/gravel. Some surfaces within the Convent are difficult to navigate and assistance may be required to ensure wheelchair accessibility. Gradients vary from gentle slopes to the north to fairly steep slopes to the south. The Rotunda has two steps leading up to it and is not accessible to wheelchairs (portable ramps are unsuitable for these steps).
The toilets on the ground floor Annexe of the Convent building are open to the general public seven days a week (until 10pm); others are restricted as explained below.
- Convent building: unisex, ground floor, Annexe (via the access ramp between the Convent Bakery and Cam’s or via stepped access on the southern side of the Annexe); accessible toilets are also located on the 1st level and 2nd levels via the lift in the south-west corner (north-east and south-west corners)
- Mercator building: unisex, ground floor (open daily, variable hours)
- Providence building: unisex, ground floor (open weekdays during business hours and during Slow Food and Shirt & Skirt market times)
- Rosina building: ground floor, via the courtyard; (for venue hirers and their guests only)
- Sacred Heart building: ground floor
- St Euphrasia building: unisex, ground floor – accessible entrances from south side of building (3MBS Community Radio; not open to the general public)
- St Mary’s building: unisex, ground floor (Sophia Mundi Steiner School students, staff and visitors only)
Baby-change facilities are available in the accessible unisex toilet on the ground floor of the Convent Annexe and in the accessible unisex toilet on the 1st floor of the Convent building (north-eastern landing, WellBeing wing).
Staff at all establishments are happy to provide assistance.
- Convent Bakery: movable seating indoors, a mixture of fixed and movable seating outdoors; service counter height 930 mm, display unit height 1410 mm.
- Kappaya: limited access and fixed seating indoors, a mixture of fixed and movable seating outdoors; service counter height 1400 mm.
- Lentil as Anything: movable seating; service counter height 950 mm.
- Rosina Function Space: good access and movable seating.
- Cam’s Kiosk: movable seating; service counter height 960 mm.
All measurements are approximate.